Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Carpe that Diem!

Inspiration: A friends dilema
Category: self-help


This is a slightly changed comment to a friends blog. He was discussing his anxiety with becoming an adult.

I think it is a mistake when people feel that their life does not stack up against those of a similar age, background, etc. It is your life; individual and unique. This is not to say that I do not doubt myself sometimes. I do, but I always try and remember that my life path is mine. A path full of dead ends, restarts and machette hacked new routes heading towards an unknown future. I am fortunate that I have at found a "fellow travelor" to accompany me on this journey, but I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. (wait, shit, I am grown up) This is ok, because I realize that my job does not have to be who I am. It is a part, but far from the whole. Also, I don't fear the future. I have succesfully squashed most of the remnants of my religion fueled fear of death. I am a tad bit concerned for my financial well being in my "golden" years, but I save money and hope for the best.

People worry about making the transition into adulthood. Don't. Be your own version of an adult. Subscribe to The Times if you want, talk about your stocks if you want, but don't do it because you think you are supposed to. I think there is nothing duller than doing things merely because it is what an adult would do. For example, I know people who had not gone to church in years, and then suddenly they got married, had children, and decided it was time to grow up and start going every Sunday. I like to call this Canned Faith (or Socially Constructed Faith for you post modernists), but that is a subject for another post. The only adult thing I subscribe to is being responsible. This is because if you are not responsible, you will cause yourself and others harm. Besides this you should be your own man or woman.

Bottom line, don't fret growing up or growing old. Enjoy the ride. As Dan Eldon said, "The journey is the destination."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home